Activity - Newcomer/Alumni
Bob Davis (Newcomers)
Brad May (Alumni)
Hello boaters and those interested in boating:
The Boating group is open to all members sharing an interest in boating. It includes those interested in sailing, powerboating, cruising, and fishing. We will meet for social events as well as outings. If you have an interest in boating but do not yet own a boat, this is an opportunity to connect with boatowners to experience boating on our great New Bern waterways!
The Boating Group is co-chaired by myself, Brad May (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Bob Davis (email@example.com). I am in the Alumni group and Bob is a Newcomer. I am a new sailor but there will be people interested in all forms of boating.
For Info on Scheduled Activities
For upcoming events, check the calendar on the Home page. You can click on the calendar event for details.
Also, check the latest newsletter on the Newsletter page.
Our first meeting will be 10:30am Sunday, February 5th. We are being hosted by the New Bern Yacht Club, 1206 Brices Creek Rd, New Bern. Brices Creek Rd runs behind New Bern airport, if you take US-70 and turn on Williams Rd (near the Food Lion), you will go around the airport, then turn sharp left on Brices Creek Rd, the Yacht Club is just past the airport boundary.
This will be a social meeting to let everyone get introduced, to decide on whether we will have regularly scheduled meetings and when, get information from members on their interests, whether they own a boat and what type/make/model, and discuss some possible activities. I hope to have the start of a 2023 schedule after the meeting.
We will survey people at the meeting, but to start people thinking here are some possible activities:
- Meet ups (socials)
- Barbeques, preferably somewhere with a boat ramp?
- Group trip to the Oriental Boat Show (4/13–4/17)
- Boat safety program (Power Squadron). Participating often gives you a discount on boat insurance.
- Vessel Safety Check of all members boats (USCG Auxiliary)
- Day cruises, for example rafting up at the Pirate Jam in Oriental in September
- Boat and dine outings
- Set up individual trips for members to go out on another member's boat, for those new to boating or interested in something different. For example, while I'm a sailor I would love to go out fishing with a member to learn more about fishing. I will be happy to take someone out who wants to experience sailing.
Please bring your ideas! We look forward to seeing everyone there! Please RSVP to me to let me know if you plan to attend. If you know of a Newcomer interested in the Boating Group I missed, please pass this email along.
Bob and Brad