Club President’s Message
NEWCOMERS CLUB OF NEW BERN
What a great turnout we had at the January meeting! Playing “Who’s The Most New Bernian?” was a lot of fun. Most of us learned about things we need to check out. Hopefully we will have as many, if not more, members at the February meeting where we will play another fun game.
At the January meeting we found out about the many interesting activities offered through the community college. The lectures at the History Center are really interesting. If you haven’t been to one, I highly recommend you go to the next one on February 10 at 2:00 pm. Get there early (the doors open at 1:00 PM); the seats fill up fast. I am constantly amazed at the number at variety of things to do here. This month I found things I wanted to do every day but five! Of course, Newcomers has an amazing array of things to do. Check out the website to keep up to date with everything going on and contact the activity leaders if you have any questions. In addition, if you haven’t already, you might want to sign up for the New Bern Morning Growl. The Morning Growl is sent out every morning via email and provides local news, events and more. Google “New Bern Morning Growl” to find out more.
We are still looking for volunteers for the Nominating Committee. Please consider being on this very important committee that will help determine the leadership of the Newcomer’s Club for the next year. See any board member if you are interested.
GET READY FOR BASEBALL SEASON! Newcomers Club members will be attending the Raleigh Mudcats vs. the Down East Wood Ducks baseball game at Grainger Stadium in Kinston on April 23 at 1:00 PM. The sign-up sheet can be found in the Special Announcements section. Please submit if you are interested in participating! (Registration cutoff is April 9.)
I hope to see you all at the February 9 meeting. Our guest speaker will be Mr. Michael Tahaney, Executive Director New Bern Civic Theatre. Please Note New Start Time! Doors will open at 6:00 PM, and the meeting will start at 6:30 PM. Come early and socialize with other Club members!
If you have any questions email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject NEWCOMERS.
I look forward to seeing you soon.
New Bern Newcomers Club President
Activities Director Update
The Newcomers activities groups include lots of “regularly scheduled” activities—sports, games, crafts, a book club, wine tastings, and more. But did you know we also offer opportunities to explore your new hometown and beyond? For example:
- The Dining Out group explores local restaurants, providing a great meal at a different restaurant each month, along with the chance to socialize with other Newcomers. Recent locations include Sake, Saltwater Grill, and The Chelsea.
- The Photo Walks group meets monthly to explore nearby locations with your camera or phone, accompanied by a professional photographer who provides pointers. Just this week, the group met at Lawson Creek Park. Previously they explored Union Point Park, Cedar Grove Cemetery, and local church buildings.
- The Day Trippers offer two trips each month—one close to home in New Bern and one further afield. In February, they’ll gather for a Super Bowl watch party at a local bar and a formal tea in Morehead City. In April, the group will co-sponsor our trip to the Wood Ducks baseball game and join the Outdoor Adventures group at a nearby park for a talk on local flowers and shrubs. Recent trips have included Civil War sites in Kinston, Mike’s Farm, a trivia night, and the New Bern trolley tour.
- In addition to co-sponsoring the nature walk mentioned above, Outdoor Adventures is planning a trip to Sylvan Bird Park in April. Other recent trips have included a hike around Martin Marietta Park and a trip to the Carolina Kite Festival.
- The RV group explores places of interest in North Carolina and surrounding states. An RV is not necessary. Upcoming trips are planned for the Outer Banks and the Kentucky Derby.
If you’d like to be a part of these adventures, please check the website and reach out to the group leader for more information.
Resources and Reminders
Watch the website for activities being held throughout the year.
Resources: Newcomers Facebook Page